Saturday, May 8, 2010

Europe on a budget?

After a semester of chipping teeth, losing iPods, getting tickets, volcanoes erupting, breaking phones, traveling every weekend and eating like a horse, it only makes sense that I give you future and/or current travelers some pointers on how to make your trip a success without breaking the bank.

As I approach the end of my trip there are several things going through my mind. One of the things I'm thinking about is my lack of funds. I am going to Barcelona for the last five days of my trip and I'm trying to figure out ways I can afford to eat while I'm there. With this thought, I am taken back to my first month here in Europe and I wonder what I could have done differently to save some pennies or Benjamin's...

Here is my advice in no particular order:

Unlike me, you should actually set a budget before you leave. I decided to leave with enough money in my account to last me for what I thought would be forever and not check it for almost a month after I got here. Bad move. It’s better to actually check your bank statements online about once a week so you don’t literally shit your pants when you see $1,000 gone. There went another $26 for laundry….

It might be helpful to research online how much money (on average) people spend in the country or town you’ll be traveling in and try to stick to that as best as you can. Any money left over can be used for souvenirs or another trip!

Don’t be stupid. A mistake I am all too familiar with over here (and back home). Ice is slippery (broken tooth $250), cheap phones aren’t very durable ($25), validate your tram tickets ($40 violation if you don’t), random strangers are not trustworthy so don’t leave your valuables in your coat pockets (RIPiPod $200), weekend excursions are expensive and they add up, when your stomach tells your brain that it’s hungry, stop and think if two snicker bars before dinner is REALLY worth it or if you can wait.

Never trust the weather man. Sunny skies and 65 degrees? Sounds great! The chances of that actually happening are not 100% so keep that in mind. It’s always a good idea to bring an umbrella with you and don’t go on trips if you don’t have extra money for unpredictable problems (i.e. volcanoes erupting).

It’s a good idea to plan your trip on a budget so you don’t come home broke but don’t be unrealistic. Try to give yourself enough money to be comfortable. It’s no fun to be pinching pennies when you’re in a foreign country while you’re trying to make the most of it.

Most importantly, soak it in. Don’t’ try to pack too many things into your trip because you’ll be rushed and annoyed. Fun stories can come out of losing things, getting your plans changed by a natural disaster or wandering around with your friends.

School: $3,300
Trips: $2,500
Lost/stolen/damaged/fined: $600
Souvenirs: $500
Making friends and having a time you’ll never forget: Priceless

1 comment:

  1. as I told you... I LOVE YOUR BLOG! very funny :)keep on writing while in usa!!

    casti

    ReplyDelete