Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A reflection

A lot of people are looking for their chance to travel the world and experience the things they’ve only read about in books. I am fortunate enough to have been able to study here In Prague for three and a half months while also traveling around different places in Europe and soaking in all that is the world as we know it.

During my stay, I’ve made a lot of good friends, had a lot of laughs, a few tears, a lot of memorable nights, nights I can’t remember, trips to places I loved and trips to places I thought were okay and wiped out my entire bank account. Throughout all of this, I learned something that cannot be taught, purchased or traveled to. I learned that there is no trip that you can go on that makes you forget about the ones who have been there for you even when you’re thousands of miles away.

I’m lucky to have a little dysfunctional family here that can momentarily distract me from the nagging feeling of sadness that comes along with missing birthdays, holidays and moments when friends and family needed me the most, but the feeling is still there. At the same time, I am so happy to have the kind of people in my life who are worth missing.

Countless times I found myself picking up my phone to call my mom about something I deemed important or wanting to text my friends or siblings to see what they’re doing later. It’s times like these when I look back and think of the things I take for granted. Hugs from mom and dad are so readily available at home; grandma and grandpa live 10 minutes away and my aunts and uncle are always more than willing to let me come over.

This has been one of the greatest experiences of my life so far. I will cherish the friendships and the memories I’ve made and also appreciate the friends, family and memories I already had.

I would like to thank you all for traveling around with me via my blog. It’s been a pleasure.

Europe has my money, but home has my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment