Thursday, February 11, 2010

Who's Pimsleur?

I just want to start out by saying that despite what you might think while reading this blog entries, I'm actually having a great time here in good ole Praha. It's just that horrible things keep happening to me. Normal, right? Thought so...

I also want to say that I've been asked to maybe not swear so much... But fuck that. Just kidding Mom!

First night in Prague that was not spent in Fedor's company (ps I'm pretty sure Fedor reads my blog.... Whoops! But we'll get to that later): The first night in the dorms was great. Only two of my flat mates were there but they were both totally cool and nice. Things were finally starting to look up. The flat was also just re-done so it's so nice and classy which is so unlike me (just look at my previous posts). One of my flat mates, John, went on this trip with his girlfriend so he invited Taylor, other flat mate, and myself out with them and a bunch of her friends. We went out and had a blast! Our personalities, our senses of humor, our backgrounds are all so different but they just work together. I think it takes a certain kind of person to be able to leave their friends, their family and their comforte zone to study abroad so when you get all of those people together they just click.

When my new friends and I were on the tram that faithful Thursday night, we ran into some problems. And when I say ran into, I really mean it ran into us and when i say some problems, I mean 1 problem. In Prague, you have to either buy a 1 month, 3 month or 1 use tram pass. For the 1 use tram pass you have to validate it on the tram. Well we did not validate our tram passes. OMG we're sooooo crazy. Apparently, that's not acceptable.. Who knew, right? The problem with that is that they have undercover tram police who I guess check on this.... I think the guy who gets the job of going undercover on a smelly, cold tram at 3 in the morning must've done something horribly wrong in policeman school to get that job but whatever. So he comes up to us and asks to see our tickets. We give him our un-validated tickets with our heads held high thinking that he'll look at them and let us off the hook. Not the case at all.. He then asks for our drivers licenses. Sure thing, I think, as I dig out the card! I gave it to him with so much confidence. As if he will look at my borderline amazing picture where I seem to have not even tapped on puberty's door, with hair that looks like I stuck my finger in an electrical outlet and say, "you know what, you are SO unfortunate, here is your license. I'm sorry. Ride the tram for free whenever you want, ma'am!" That, too, did not happen. He then told us that we either had to pay 700 czk ($40) or go to the police station. Did I mention he doesn't speak English? Well he doesn't. So that was fun also. I think by police station he meant prison. Czech prison. Where you get Hepatitis Z but simply talking about Czech prison. So I have it now. Obviously I paid the $40. That was the easiest solution I could come up with. The others were: crying, playing dead, hijacking the tram, taking prisoners or offering him back massages in lieu of prison. But I'm no good at back massages so I went for cold, hard crowns. Good first night out.

Have you ever woken up in the afternoon and said to yourself, "I'm REALLY glad that happened to me!"? First of all, if you're waking up in the afternoon, then your answer is automatically no. Secondly, me either.

I chipped my tooth. There, I said it. I've decided that no matter how you chipped your tooth, it always happens in an embarrassing way but the way I did it, is embarrassinger than everyone elses.

I was carrying sweaters that I knitted for under priveleged children in Africa when it happened. Why do children in Africa need sweaters? Protein. Anyway, I was carrying this 15 sweaters when I slipt on a sheet of black ice. The sweaters flew out of my arms and into the black slush. Totally ruining them. I landed on a skateboard and slid into a pole and smacked my mouth causing my tooth to chip in half. It all happened so fast so I ended up swallowing it on accident. Let me tell you.... It.Was.Delicious.

I woke up the next morning and immediately felt for my tooth thinking/hoping/praying that it was all just a nightmare only to realize it was real. I am semi-toothless. I have now stopped telling people I'm from the USA and I am now English. There is not a 5 minute period that goes by that I don't say "...so remember when I had a tooth?", "...this would be so much more fun if I had a tooth...", "...well at least you have all of your teeth!" or I'll just simply point to where my tooth once sat.

I googled "Dentist office in Prague" and got on called "American Dental". I figured they'd probably speak English. Safe bet. I then sent them this email: "Hey girl hey. I chipped my bottom center tooth and I would like to know about how I would go about fixing it and how much it would cost. If you could get back to me asap that'd be great!"

I miss that tooth...

No comments:

Post a Comment